Hiring an Inspector? Here’s what to expect.
- The inspection is visual only. They can’t get behind walls or into the sewer line.
- They will check plumbing, electrical, attic and crawl space.
- They will provide you with a report with pictures that you can utilize.
- Hire someone who is knowledgeable of the area, and tuned into common local issues.
- Should be certified! By the way, former builders make great inspectors.
- You can have them go over the basics of the home for you, such as where the water heater is located.
- The inspector should be objective throughout the process, and not tell you whether or not to buy the house.
- Don’t hire an inspector who charges by the hour.
- Inspectors should not offer to perform repairs themselves. Conflict of interest much?
- They may ask you about secondary inspections to check the roof, plumbing etc.
You’re paying the inspector to find everything, so don’t be discouraged if they find a lot. You’re looking for bears, not the mice at this point in the process.